09 November, 2009

Vitaly Ginzburg Dead at 93

Nobel Laureate Vitaly Ginzburg deceased yesterday due to heart failure. Apart from theoretical physics, he was renowned as an outspoken atheist and irreconcilable antagonist of religious obscurantism. Even being already seriously ill some two years ago, he wrote:

"...I'm 91 years old and suffer from an incurable blood disease, for that reason I cannot walk since about three years ago; I also have another difficulty that I don't feel like describing here. Passing through it would be probably much easier with a belief in God. But, until I'm in full possession of my faculties, I will never address to the mythic God. I would like to emphasise that the illness has no affect on my writings, and I ask my opponents to make no allowances for me..."

No comments: